Sunday, January 3, 2016

Happy New Year! Still waiting on snow to finish the sled up!

January 3rd, and only a dusting of snow on the ground.  So many items to check or adjust on the sled, but I need the snow to do it.........

- The engine needs to be ran for some time to verify the oil pump is feeding fuel to the engine (currently I have a 50:1 mix in the tank)

- Verify that coolant is actually pumping through the rails

- Verify clutch/belt engagement: During my one and only ride since getting the sled together the engine rpms were quite high before the belt engage.  I cleaned the primary and secondary sheaves with a scotch brite pad, and replaced the drive belt.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Where is winter?

December 14th and I was just outside,  6am, in a t-shirt!  Rainy but 61 degrees!  Figures, have the Arctic Cat done and no snow!

Friday, December 4, 2015

Carb motor to efi summary

Brief background: original 1998 Arctic Cat Zr 600 efi motor blew mag side bearings and took lower end with it. Bought a supposedly 98 efi motor from a dealer that only had 1k miles on it. Turns out it was a carb motor. Here is what I had to do to make it work as an efi.

1. Remove impulse line and fitting from crankcase. Replace with plug bolt and washer from dealer.

2. Remove carb boots and replace with throttle body boots.

3. Replace cylinder head with one from efi because an efi motor has a coolant hose that runs from the throttle body to the head, carbs do not.

4. Replace carb stator with efi stator.

That's it, in a nutshell. In my case it helped I still had most of my efi parts needed.

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Fuel mix

I should mention that since there was oil pump work performed I mixed up a couple of gallons of 50:1 mix to run on. I'd the oil tank level goes down then I should be good to go after that

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

First snow, first ride!

We were fortunate here in mid-michigan to get about 8 inches of snow on Saturday.  I was even more fortunate to take the ZR out for a ride!  It ran great, from low speed to almost full throttle. No engine issues at all. There is a noticeable squeak from the track so I need to check that out, but if that's all that's wrong I'll take it!

Friday, October 9, 2015

Finally, it's running!

Before I get to it running, I will summarize how I cleaned the injectors.  
1.  I set them in a prescription pill bottle filled with injector cleaner.  I put tape around the top so the screens were just below the fluid.
2. Took a 12 volt motorcycle battery, clipped alligator clips to the injector, and briefly cycled each  injector 5 or 6 times
3.  Blew them off. 

The screens were now clean so I assumed the rest was.  

Put the injectors back in the sled, dumped in fresh fuel, primed the pump, then crossed my fingers!

It started after about 10 pulls, then quit.  I pulled it another 4 times, then it started and kept running! YES!.  I shut it off after a minute, waited about 5 minutes, then tried again.  It started on the first pull, and I did the same thing 6 times in a row, starting first pull each time!

So, now, besides waiting for snow, I need to double check all my connections, put the hood back on, double-check all the fluid levels, and give it a test run when I can!

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Major progress

A lot has happened since the rusty bolt. The motor is in. All coolant, oil and fuel lines installed. Well, everything is in but the hood.   Primed the fuel pump, but the darn thing wouldn't fire up. I poured a little fuel in each cylinder, and it started on yhe first pull. So, I have a fuel issue.  I pulled the supply line from the fuel rail and was able to confirm that there was fuel there. I pulled the injectors, and could see there was not any fuel passing through them. So obviously the injectors were glogged. Next post will be on cleaning the injectors.