Sunday, December 28, 2014

Yet more electrical issues, kind of...

It's been almost a month since I posted, but I have been working on this.   But with the serious lack of snow and the holidays, it has't been a priority.

Once I had the motor bolted in and torqued down, I connected the coolant hoses and the electrical.  With the electrical hooked up I decided to do a quick pull test to verify my connections.  Well, guess what?  That's right, no spark!  I double-checked the connections, made sure my tether was connected, key on and on/off button up.  So, I grabbed my voltmeter and started testing all electronics from the stator up.  All components tested fine, now what?!

Quite a long story made short,  I found more than a few references to disconnecting the yellow wire harness from the stator and testing for spark then.  Supposedly this bypasses ALL handle bar controls.  I did this, still no spark.  Then I remembered! I had a problem with the TSS (Throttle Safety Switch) and had disconnected it before the original motor went.  So, despite what I read about the yellow wire harness bypassing everything on the handle bar, I disconnected the TSS.  SPARK!!  So much for the internet forums. I am ashamed of how long I went before doing this.  That just goes to prove, don't believe everything you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment