Monday, December 14, 2009

Let it begin - Project Arctic Cat, or Installing an engine in a ZR 600 EFI chassis

And so the beginning of the end, an end to the nightmare that is!  A little background is necessary, I believe.

6 years or so ago the beast herself, a 1998 Arctic Cat ZR600 EFI, took a major dump.  She started to cough and sputter, with a backfire or two thrown in, just to let us know she was ailing.  Lucky for my son and I we were right in front of the house so I shut her down.   The hood was lifted, then a quick glance around....hey it looks OK to me, must have been a fluke!     Closed the hood, and proceeded to start her back up, only to nearly dislocate my arm from my shoulder socket....OK, obviously looks were deceiving, she was not well.

To make a long story short....bad bearings on the magneto side (Don't know what the magneto side is? Too bad, I will explain it later) caused the crankshaft to vibrate, which in turn caused the flywheel to smash the stator (again, I will explain all this as we get in to the project!) to pieces, freezing everything up.

A lot happened after that, but that's not important, let's just jump ahead to present day, which brings us to this blog....my first stab at the blog world, documenting my attempt to resurrect the beast, hopefully before the snow vanishes for the season.   Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment