Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Step 1. Continued....Draining old gasoline from the Project Arctic Cat ZR 600 tank

...After fashioning my siphon I was able to drain the fuel.   Wait! I forgot to mention that a day before siphoning out the fuel I added 2 ounces of Sea Foam to the fuel.  The brainstorm behind this was to help break up any sludge in the tank.  I read quite a bit about Sea Foam and thought I would give it a try.....

OK, back to draining the fuel.  The tank was finally drained so I took another peek in to the tank.  It didn't look too bad, just some minor slime.  At this point I decided not to pull the pump, but poured about a 1 1/2 gallons of fresh fuel to cover the bottom of the tank as well as the two fuel pickups.   I then added another 2 ounces of Sea Foam, and let it sit for a few days.  Which brings us up to the present day....testing the fuel pump, then replacing the fuel lines.  I figured before I install the engine it would be easy to replace the fuel lines, and I wanted to make sure the fuel pump was still working OK.  That way if the engine wouldn't start, and there was not any fuel delivery, I would know the actual pump was not to blame. 

As for the fuel lines, to me the fuel line that runs underneath the steering post would be a bear to change if the engine was installed.  I could be wrong but why take any chances?  So the next post will be my Step 2.  Pulling the fuel lines off of the throttle body and then testing the fuel pump, followed by replacing all the fuel related lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment